Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

Changes to Documentation

Medicare (and also Centrelink) – change of personal details (incl. gender) policy:
Key points:

  • You need to go into your local medicare/centrelink office in person with the documents required by them (a letter from a qualified doctor or psychologist, or alternative documentation).
  • The person in the office will forward them to the relevant department for actioning.
  • The person in the office may be unaware of the policy of medicare/centrelink – it may be worth printing out the policy and taking it in to the office with you. If you encounter difficulties you can call the Dept of Human Services Complaints line on 1800 132 468. Ask to have your complain escalated to Level 2 as staff in this area are aware of the issues involved.

The policy states that:
To notify us of a change of gender you need to provide one of the following documents:

  • a statement from a registered medical practitioner or psychologist
  • a valid Australian Government travel document, such as a passport, that specifies your gender
    an amended state or territory birth certificate that specifies your gender
  • a state or territory Gender Recognition Certificate or Recognised Details Certificate showing a state or territory Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages has accepted your change in gender’

Information re access to Stage 2 Cross Hormone Treatment
Navigating the Stage 2 Process – A Legal Toolkit for Parents of Transgender Children

Hon. Justice Strickland’s paper on ‘Legal Responses to Transgender Young People Revisited’ Australia

Why the Australian Government should legislate regards Stage 2 Cross Hormones access for adolescents